Based in Tampere, Finland
PC / Mac / Linux
Prisonscape is an adventure/RPG game that is taking place in prison. The player needs to survive in this harsh and violent environment. Inside you have to deal with such things as constant assaults, creating and using weapons, interacting with other prisoners and learning the trade inside the jail. The player can develop his character to be, for example, a strong, tough fighter or an intelligent, charismatic manipulator.
Development of Prisonscape was started in November 2012. The project was initially started by Tuomas Hynninen who wrote the engine code and Pekka Kallioniemi who worked on the story, game mechanics and also graphics. Pretty soon we realized that if we wanted to make a good game, we would have to find a proper artist to make us some awesome pixel art. For that, we found David Hammond, who joined the team around January of 2013. Case Portman joined the group as a composer in June of 2013 and so the team for Prisonscape was ready.
- Craft makeshift weapons and other useful items out of the stuff lying around the prison
- Control the main character and his henchmen in grid and turn-based combat
- Use special attacks and defenses from the "book of dirty tricks". These attacks and defenses are based on your character statistics and skills
- Deal and/or use drugs which give you various bonuses and disadvantages (including addiction) in the game
- Join a prison gang and start riots
- Gain (and lose) reputation by doing jobs for other inmates and guards
- Solve problems by using your intelligence and/or your muscles
- Study and train inside the prison to become proficient in many of the skills in Prisonscape, including fighting, literacy and pickpocketing
- Lose all your stuff in shakedowns or gain benefits and hindrances from various random events in the game
- Snitch to the guards about other inmates to get some nice bonuses such as better jobs, cigarettes and rec time (but don't get caught!)
Logo & Icon
- "It looks extremely promising."
- Julian Benson, PCGamesN
- "I, for one, am especially excited to see what they could do with a game like this."
- Citrine Cat, Game Think Drink
- "Prisonscape is not taking any shortcuts in creating a realistic prison environment."
- cvbxsta, Indie Game Enthusiast
- "...les allures du projet sont vraiment très alléchantes, sur beaucoup de niveaux."
- Arthur Jeannin, Indius
- "I read Planescape and got excited"
- Humenkind, NeoGAF
Our IndieDB page can be found at indiedb.com.
About Heaviest Matter
We are Heaviest Matter, a small game development studio from Tampere, Finland. Our company was found at the beginning of 2014. We are currently working on Prisonscape, an adventure/roleplaying game taking place in prison.
More information on Heaviest Matter, our logo & relevant media are available here.